In addition to acupuncture there are other energy medicine techniques to help with the effects of chemotherapy. One of the most beneficial methods is the Brazilian Toe Technique. This was created by a Brazilian named Jose De Aragao and later presented at a Touch for Health International Convention in 1980. It involves holding different toes in specific order with a light touch. Along with decreasing nausea for chemotherapy patients, the Brazilian Toe is very useful for balancing polarities, calming the nervous system, reducing pain, swelling and insomnia.
Energy Medicine Quick Tips for Chemotherapy
1. The Hook Up: Place one middle finger in navel and the other at the third eye. Lift up and Inhale, pull up and hold. Repeat 3-4 times.
2. Hold or tap Stomach 3 Acupressure Point located on the cheek bone directly below the eye.
4. Hold, tap or massage Stomach 36 Acupressure Point located
Nearly everything in the produce aisle can help you prevent cancer, but there are items throughout the supermarket that can protect your health and the health of your family.
- Cantaloupe – a great source of carotenoids, plant chemicals that act as antioxidants shown to reduce the risk of lung cancer.
- Kale and cabbage – cruciferous vegetables are widely considered to be one of the healthiest food choices you can make. Included in this family of vegetables are broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage and bok choy. Cruciferous vegetables are high in vitamins, fiber, and potent anti-cancer phytochemicals.
- Edamame (soybeans) – These cancer-fighting beans contain phytoestrogens, that may help prevent estrogen-driven cancers by binding to estrogen receptors. They are also good for the men of the household since evidence suggests the isoflavones found in soy products may help fight prostate cancer.
- Whole Grain Oats – Oats have the highest proportion of soluble fiber of any grain. Fiber is rich in antioxidants, helps fight colon cancer and phenolic compounds in whole grains my help reduce the risk of certain GI cancers. Pick cereals high in folate, fiber and/or flaxseed.
- Orange juice (fresh – not from concentrate) – this favorite breakfast beverage is a powerful source of folate which has been linked to lowered risk for GI and pancreatic cancer.Green tea – green tea is lower in caffeine than coffee and can help prevent prostate cancer and possibly bladder cancer.Pomegranate juice – this juice is extremely antioxidant-rich and helps prevent colon and prostate cancer.
Benefits of Acupuncture in Cancer Care
Cancer treatments are aggressive and cause numerous unwanted side effects as well as a lowered immune system. Acupuncture is an excellent adjunctive therapy in cancer treatments because of its ability to relieve pain, reduce side effects, accelerate recovery and improve quality of life.
What Acupuncture is used for during Cancer Treatment:
Acupuncture provides a total approach to health care for people with cancer. It can be used to address many of the concerns that come up during and after chemotherapy, radiation, biological therapy and surgery.
According to the National Cancer Institute, acupuncture may cause physical responses in nerve cells, the pituitary gland, and parts of the brain. These responses can cause the body to release proteins, hormones, and brain chemicals that control a number of body functions. It is proposed that, by these actions, acupuncture affects blood pressure and body temperature, boosts immune system activity, and causes the body’s natural painkillers, such as endorphins, to be released.
Areas that acupuncture has shown the most promise include:
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Dry Mouth, Night Sweats and Hot Flashes
- Stress, anxiety and Fatigue
- Pain Management
- Increasing White Blood Cell Count
Source:National Cancer Institute. www.cancer.org